Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Fool on the Hill

Sunday was absolutely beautiful, which explains why I spent almost 6 hours outdoors. I was just rambling about my neighborhood, listening to the music and voices inside my head, and I decided to go walk in the park. And so I did.

Now, I have a tendency to go walking along the lake shore, instead of in the park. I'd actually forgotten just how lovely the park can be. As I was walking, I saw a hill (and there are not many of those in this part of the country) so I decided to climb the hill and check out the few from up there for a few moments before continuing on my way.

I must have sat there for at least half and hour. There was a statue (I didn't check to see of whom it was), so I sat at the foot of it, turned by back to the road that goes through the park, and looked out over a pretty pond sparkling in the sunshine, and listening to the sounds of the city. Some cars. Birds chirping. People talking on their phones. Children laughing, shrieking, crying. Dogs barking.

It's so easy, all too often, to forget to take time to slow down and just watch, and listen, to what's going on around you. Especially in a big city, where so much is always happening, and it's far too easy to just get sucked into the busy-ness of it all. How many gorgeous Sundays get spent running around doing other sorts of craziness, leaving no time to sit in the park and listen to the sounds of the world around you?

No comments: