Thursday, October 21, 2004

Cara's World Book Review

He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth To Understanding Guys by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo.

I haven't actually finished reading this book. Nor did I buy it. It was given to a colleague, and I skimmed it while chatting in her office. Then I decided to borrow it and read the whole thing. I do not normally read this kind of book. But right now, I'm hooked.

Written by a writer and consultant from Sex and the City, which happens to be one of my favorite TV shows, it makes it very clear, in a very funny way, just how stupid we ladies can be about you men. Now, I can't say that I fully buy into everything the book says. I still have faith in you guys. But it's still an eye-opening book anyway.

For the Single Ladies in the Audience: Read this book. Now. You will appreciate it, because there is probably some guy in your life right now that you are wasting a lot of time and energy on, by analyzing his every word and making excuses for why things aren't working out between you. Put down the chocolate, and go read this book instead. It's amazingly liberating, and I don't normally go in for feminist crap.

For the Single Guys in the Audience: I'm on to you now. Do you realize how much simpler life would be if you were just a little more honest? I know that blunt truth can be hard (previous thoughts on the subject), but we'd all be far less crazy if you'd just tell us the truth. Really. It might suck to hear you say "I'm just not that into you" or some variation thereof, but we can handle it. Quit being so nice about it. Don't give us b.s. excuses, because we usually manage to twist things around so that we hear whatever it is we most need to hear. Just be honest about it. We won't fall apart. You'd be surprised at how easily a pint of Ben and Jerry's can make the pain go away. Particularly a pint of Phish Food or Chubby Hubby.

No comments: