Tuesday, May 04, 2004

An Ode To Becky

I'm a terrible friend. Yesterday was Becky's birthday, and I neglected to mention it to anyone. Including Becky. While there is no excuse for my lapse in attention, I shall attempt to make it up to her by praising her on the Internet, where millions of people have the ability to read it.

Becky is honestly one of the most amazing people I know. Dedicated is a good word. She's dedicated to her husband, to Yiddishkeit, to her community, to her friends, and to herself. I can't say that she shines in one of these areas more than another, because the truth is that she's equally amazing in every regard.

I like to tease her about being a bit over the top sometimes, like when she puts together a shabbos meal for 15 people by cooking enough food for 35, which includes at least 5 different kinds of dead animal. But the truth is that I admire her for doing it. I don't think I'm as dedicated to any one thing in my life as she is to all of these things.

Perhaps the most amazing side of her is that she never sees any of this as over the top. There's no such thing as 'too much' when it comes to the effort she puts into things. I know no one else who is naturally that generous, and so unaware of how amazing she truly is (other than my grandmother, a"h).

And yet there's even more to her. She's warm and caring, on top of being generous. And she's fun to be with. Whether it's for a quick middle of the day coffee, a hookah, a movie, dinner, a game of Boggle, she's just fun to be with.

My life would not be as complete, and as pleasant, as it is if Becky were not in it. Having her as a friend is truly a blessing from Hashem. And, as I have just proven by doing something as dumb as forgetting to wish her a happy birthday, I don't deserve her.

No comments: