Wednesday, December 29, 2004

When the Brain Fails

Since the age of fifteen, I have repeatedly been told that I “think too much”. It’s true. I use, and probably misuse, my brain a great deal. But in the past few days, I find that I can’t get my brain to really work. I just can’t wrap my brain around the reality of the SE Asian tsunami disaster.

I know that it’s tragic. I read the articles and the heart-breaking testimonials and I look at the pictures. I watch the death toll climb ever higher and I read the predictions of how much higher it is expected to climb. I read the words, but am having an extraordinarily difficult time comprehending the true meaning behind them. The numbers are so large that it’s very hard to feel the impact of a tragedy like this, especially since it’s taking place on the other side of the world. Somehow it’s easier to feel the tragedy of a terrorist attack in Israel or even the sensationalist stories that often pass for local news than it is to feel the catastrophe of a natural disaster like this.

Maybe there is no way to truly understand this. Maybe all I can say, whether its appropriate in a situation like this or no, baruch dayan ha’emet.

No comments: