Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Fog, Frankie, Farbrengiton and Friends

There's something very wrong with my brain. I think I broke it in Israel, because it's just not working properly. I can't remember what I was going to blog (after stupidly telling myself that I didn't need to write it down). I couldn't remember what I'd been working on when I was in the office on Friday. This morning, I put a mango in my purse to eat as a snack, and forgot about it entirely. Until I met Becky for coffee and, wondering why my purse felt so heavy, put my hand in and found the mango again. It's definitely the first time in my life I've been able to say with complete honesty, "I have a mango in my purse". My brain just seems wrapped in this nearly impervious fog.

Despite the fogginess, I can provide a bit of a Weekend Report. I spent the bulk of my weekend with a puppy. My friend Allie has the world's cutest 3 month old Cocker-Bijon named Frankie. (Big Brother correction: Allie is not just a friend. Allie is Big Brother's stupendous girlfriend. And Frankie is 'theirs' and not just 'hers') I fully expect Guinness to announce in the near future that Frankie is the holder of the new World Record for Cuteness (at which time I will, of course, gracefully relinquish the title). She's just adorably little and fluffy and cuddly and incredibly silly, and you can't help but smile when she's around. However, after spending my whole shabbos with Frankie for company, my conversational skills dropped to the level of "Good potty, Frankie!" The other downside was that I found myself with far, far too much time alone with my brain. Quiet time= Thinking time. Thinking can be dangerous. I definitely believe there should be times when I'm prohibited from thinking.

Other than enjoying the cuteness that is Frankie, I also enjoyed the musical talents of Farbrengiton, as well as the company of other Farbrengiton fans. Although it was slightly odd when a guy approached me and began the conversation with "You're Cara (insert last name here), right?" He was right, but I still don't know how he knew my last time. And since I also recently got a phone call from the local Chabad, wanting to "discuss a few things" because they know that I was active in my Hillel and generally like to be involved in the community, I'm really wondering how all these strangers suddenly know so much about me. When did I become so popular?

The highlight of my weekend (not that random phone calls and unknown men knowing my last name wasn't fantastic) was hands-down being able to spend time with my two best friends from high school. I honestly can't remember the last time all three of us were in the same room at the same time. Which could easily be a result of my brain fog, but I do know it's been a while. Other than the fact that one of them has since acquired a fiance (gasp! My first experience as a bridesmaid!), not much has really changed. Which is the best part of all.

So there you have it: Frankie, Farbrengiton, my wonderful friends, and a weather forecast of fog that shows no signs of lifting in the near future. I still can't remember what I was originally going to blog. But I do know that it was ironic.

No comments: