Tuesday, September 21, 2004

My New Quest for Computer Independence

I thought I bought a laptop this morning. Not only that, but I thought I'd managed to get myself one helluva good deal, being the magical creature than I am. I found someone who was selling a new, in-the-box 12" Apple ibook for $850. We emailed, I got prompt answers to my questions, and all seemed well. I was very proud of me.

And then the good people at Amazon.com send me a notification that my order has been cancelled. The seller is "temporarily unable to receive payments." After frantically calling my bank to make sure that I haven't just lost $850 (IM"H, my account should be corrected by midnight), I contact the seller, wondering if he/she/it will be fixing this problem and reposting the item on Amazon once again.

The gist of the very prompt response: Possibly, but in the meantime, here's a special offer just for you. You send me the money by Western Union (the seller is in the UK), and I'll send you the computer. If you're not satisfied, contact me within 2-3 days. I'll send back the $$, and you send back the computer.

Is it me, or does this sound a bit dodgy? I have a feeling I should look about for another laptop.

No comments: