Thursday, November 25, 2004

Gobble Gobble

It's cold and snowy here in Chicago on Thanksgiving Day, and I couldn't be in a better mood. Even though I'd fully intended to sleep ridiculously late, but found myself wide awake at 7:00am instead.

I've never really understood the big deal about Thanksgiving Day. After all, shouldn't we be grateful every day for all the things that we have? It's similar to my views on Valentine's Day: why should you need someone like Mr. Hallmark to tell you when to be romantic? For me, Thanksgiving is really a day for spending with my family and eating good food. Just like every other holiday.

Today, however, I really did think about my life and all the things and people in it. Probably because I was awake at 7, and none of the television channels started playing anything halfway decent until 8. And I really am grateful. I have a wonderful family, and am lucky enough to have most of it here in the same city. I have amazing friends all over the world. I have a good job, and exciting plans for my own future. I even have my own blog. Yeah, there's a lot to be thankful for in Cara's World.

I'm also very grateful for having recently gotten my groove back. It sounds pretty silly, but it's true. Everything just seems like a bright, shiny new possibility right now. I guess life can become crystal clear at 7am. Like my buddy Amanda said the other day, I'm a "super cool chick" and I deserve to be treated like one (her words, not mine). Now that I've found my self-esteem again, it's much harder to let myself be treated like a doormat.

So these are my musings on a cold and beautiful Thanksgiving Day. Now it's time to go make a couple of pecan pies. I hope all of you out there in the blogosphere are having equally joyous days, spent with people you love.

No comments: