Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Day At The Races

I love my job.

I don't know if I've ever felt that before. Certainly not in my pre-Israel desk job, or in my post-Israel desk job. Nor my job as a metapelet in Israel. I loved my time at Yad L'Kashish, but that was technically a volunteer gig.

This is not the first time I've realized that I love my current job. I just felt like this was noteworthy enough to blog. I guess the reason that I'm constantly so pleasantly surprised at how much I love this job is because 1) I've never loved my job before, and 2) I never envisioned myself in this line of work.

(For those unaware, I've spent the past year working in a pediatric center as a behavior therapist, working primarily with children on the autism spectrum.)

Today provides a great example of why this job rocks. On Tueday afternoons, my supervisor and I lead a social group for 2 very cute, high functioning autistic children. The whole point of the group is to teach them how to play together. Today's theme was Transportation. So, among other things, we made child-sized cars out of cardboard boxes, decorated them, put them on the kids, and then played 'Red Light, Green Light'.

Cars looked something like this
(but much cuter).

I also had fun putting on one of the cars and running around in it for a few minutes.

How can I not love a job that requires me to make arts and crafts projects with adorable children, play with adorable children, and then lets me get away with running around in a cardboard car?

No comments: