Friday, February 06, 2004

Dr. Howser, may I see some I.D.?

I was watching "I love the '80's strikes back" a couple weeks back, and I found myself watching whichever episode mentioned that TV classic "Doogie Howser, MD." I don't think it had ever really hit me before just how young that kid looked. This is probably because I was only half his age when the show was still on air. But now that I'm an adult (in age only), I have to admit that if someone who looks like that walked into the operating room and introduced himself as the attending physician, I would certainly have a few qualms. (Note: 'qualms' is a good word. Try it in a sentence today.)

Anyway, what brought good ole Doogie to mind today was someone actually making a Doogie Howser reference during a lunch meeting. This made me ponder what it takes to make a truly memorable television sitcom. I don't think it has anything to do with humor or the quality of the writing, but simply the preposterousness of the premise. Think about it: once upon a time, in the mid-80's, a group of TV people were sitting around a table, brainstorming for new ideas. Suddenly, someone sits up and says, "I've got it! We make a show about a kid genius who becomes a doctor, and then has to juggle the usual trials and tribulations of being a teenager with the grueling lifestyle of a medical residency program!" Even more bizarre is the thought that everyone else at that table then said, "Yeah! That's a great idea!" (Note: 'tribulations' is also a good word. But not quite as much fun to say as 'qualms.' Go ahead, give it a try. You'll see that I'm right.)

No comments: