Friday, February 13, 2004

A rose by any other name...

Most people who know me also know that I despise Valentine's Day. It's just not romantic to plan a special evening because Mr. Hallmark says so. Besides, if your guy is so unromantic that he needs Valentine's Day to be pre-printed on all of his calendars, chances are he's not going to come up with something truly romantic for that day anyway, so you're just going to end up even more disappointed. A romantic guy doesn't need a reason to be romantic.

I usually tell my guy friends to make this stupid day romantic by doing something for their girl before February 14, when she isn't expecting it. Surprise them with flowers on February 10 or 12. Make them (or take them to) a candlelit dinner the weekend before. Show them that you care about them, not about impressing them and appeasing Mr. Hallmark.

That said, I do have to give major Kudos to the management of my office building, who handed a single red rose to every female tenant as they walked into the lobby this morning. That's both sweet and cute. It's also the only time I've ever been given a rose for Valentine's Day, which is really sad. Well, in high school, my friends and I would buy a flower from whichever student groups was selling them, and send them to each other. Senior year, I actually sent one to a boy. He was a sophomore, and my partner for an upcoming Model UN conference. I wrote a friendly little note, just thanking and supporting him for all the work he'd put into our preparation. Nothing romantic, just appreciative. The little punk then assumed that not only did a senior have a crush on him, but that he was cooler than she. Neither assumption was correct.

No comments: