Friday, April 30, 2004

Mandatory Volunteering

Sunday is Israel Solidarity here in Chi-town and, as one of the myriad employees of Federation and its support agencies, I have the responsibility of helping out. My assignment: to be at McCormick Place at 7:30 am, wearing my bright red STAFF shirt, answer questions, and make sure people are having a good time.

I probably shouldn't complain about that. But I'm going to anyway. I'm obligated to wake up really early (at least 5:45, so that I can hit snooze, get out of bed, get dressed, and catch a bus at 6:20, since I have no automobile) on a Sunday, to work for another 8 hours.

It's not that I have any issue with Israel Solidarity Day itself. It's a great day. Everyone should come. We'll have Israeli food, Israeli merchants, a big pro-Israel rally, all sorts of good stuff.

I guess what it comes down to is me being a bit selfish. I had a fabulous weekend last weekend. For the first time in ages, I got to go play with a great bunch of people. And I want to go play again. Except that I really can't (or shouldn't?), because I have to wake up so early, on a day that's normally dedicated to me-time.

I guess I'll just have to go play some other time. But for now, I'm going to pout.

No comments: