Thursday, April 22, 2004

What Day Is It?

Seems like a simple question, right? I mean there are only seven choices. I'm typing, so it's clearly not shabbos. I'm in my office, so it's clearly not Sunday. Down to five choices, so why the confusion?

Well, Prodly says it's "Earth Day." MOChassid says it's "Schlep Your Dopey Kid To Work Day," formerly known as "Bring Your Kid To Work Day." That's a lot going on at once. I don't have time in my day for all of this.

This brings me to the real purpose of this post...banning "Schlep Your Kid to Work Day." As MOChassid reminds us, it used to be about taking your girl children to work with you, to teach them that girls are allowed to be as career-driven, materialistic, and ambitious as boys. Now we teach all children to be this way. However, despite my reservations about what we're teaching the next generation, this is not really my objection. "Schlep Your Kid To Work Day" discriminates against people who don't have children. Should I be penalized because I have not yet gotten married? You think nice Jewish girls need more of this pressure? Why can't I just bring my cat instead?

Oh, the unfairness of it all.

No comments: