Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Self-Indulgent Moment of Ranting

Normally, I use my blog time to talk about simchas or the stupid things people do. But I'm going to depart from that for a bit, and vent some steam. If you can't handle it, leave now, because I'm not in the mood to indulge you.

I consider myself a nice person, someone who is usually compassionate and understanding of those around me. In fact, many of my college friends have told me that I'm "too nice," because I'm so understanding of other people's quirks and flaws, and generally find ways to excuse them. For a while now, I've been wondering why being "too nice" is a bad thing. After all, it's a cruel and selfish world out there, so isn't it good that there are people who genuinely care about others?

Apparently not. Apparently, because it is a cruel and selfish world, the 'nice' people in it get walked all over. There is no reciprocity. The more understanding and compassionate and selfless you are to others, the more selfish they're going to be. Why? Because you'll understand, of course! The fairer you try to be when dealing with other people, the more unfair they'll be to you.

I'm a very forgiving person. But right now, I've had enough.

Think I'm not being fair in this assessment of the world around me? Well, I'm feeling rather angry at the moment, and I'm going to selfishly indulge that anger. You'll just have to be understanding.

No comments: