Friday, March 12, 2004

Some Thoughts on Mr. Arafat

During lunch today, the subject of Yassir Arafat came up in discussion. There were two particular aspects of Mr. Arafat's life, both professional and personal, which raised questions in my mind...

1) One of my lunch companions commented that it is quite remarkable, given Mr. Arafat's past behavior of lying to, stealing from, cheating and murdering his own 'people,' that they still want him as their leader. My companion claims that such a situation would never happen in this country.
My question: Would it make a difference if Mr. Arafat cheated on his wife with an intern?

2) Having raised the subject of matrimony, the many years of physical separation between Mr. and Mrs. Arafat was then pondered. One lunch companion made an irreverent remark about Mr. Arafat actually being married to a camel.
My question: When he got engaged to the camel, did he have to pay for it in women?

No comments: